For your safety and enjoyment, as well as the safety and enjoyment of others, the following policies will be enforced in all the facilities.
Recreational Sports at the University of North Texas is committed to our participants’ enjoyment, safety and well-being. To this end, the department will not tolerate theft, verbally abusive language, fighting or threats of physical violence, or harassment of any participants or staff. The department reserves the right to take necessary action to preserve the safety and integrity of its facilities, programs, participants and staff. Failure to abide by this accepted standard of conduct will result in loss of privileges for a period of time deemed appropriate by management and possible referral to the Dean of Students.
- All drinks must be in a sealable container.
- Proper footwear and attire is required. Each activity area has specific shoe and attire requirements. Please refer to activity area policies below.
- No animals other than those assisting the disabled are allowed in any recreational facility.
- Bicycles, skateboards and roller blades are prohibited from the facility; strollers are allowed in designated activity areas. Please see member services for details. All members of the Rec Center and guests are subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement and Recreational Sports policies and procedures.
- All currently enrolled students, currently employed or retired faculty and staff, their spouses, dependents and alumni are eligible to use the facilities during operating hours. Faculty/staff, retirees, their spouses, dependents and alumni must purchase a membership or a guest pass. Currently enrolled students who pay the Rec Center fee are automatically members of the Rec Center.
- All users must present a current UNT ID card to the Recreational Sports staff to gain access to any facility. Users are allowed to forget their ID card three times per semester.
- Alumni must be current members of NT Exes and will be given a Rec Sports ID card. Members and guests are required to follow all posted rules.
- Sponsors are responsible for directly supervising minors (under age 16) while using the Rec Center. Failure to do so may result in loss of membership privileges.
- An eligible user over 18 years of age must accompany his/her guest/dependent between the ages of 16 and 17. An adult sponsor may supervise no more than two (2) individuals under 16 years of age. Members and guests under 16 years of age may not use the aerobic machines, weight room equipment, or racquetball courts. A parent or guardian over 18 must directly supervise individuals under 16 years of age when using the Rec Center.
- Children under the age of 5 may use either lockeroom but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Children 5 years of age and older must use the locker room and rest room in accordance with their gender. Failure to follow age and use restrictions may result in termination or suspension of membership or guests privileges.
- Guests of an eligible user may use the recreational facilities by paying a $10 guest fee. All guests must be sponsored by an eligible user. The eligible user must present his/her UNT ID card to obtain the guest pass. The guest pass is valid only for the date listed on the receipt. The sponsor of the guest is responsible for the guest while using the facilities. Members may sponsor up to two guests per day.
- Members can bring in two children, 15 years old and younger, for free each day.
- Facility reservations may be made by calling (940) 565-2275. A minimum of 3 weeks is necessary to process a facility request.
- Use of the weight room is limited to users 16 years and over. No one under the age of 16 is permitted.
- Closed-toed athletic shoes and attire are required. Flip flops, open-toed, open-heeled shoes are not allowed.
- Keep walkways clear. Users must move any item obstructing walkways and/or equipment at the request of Rec Sports staff. Cubbies and lockers are available.
- Collars are required when using loaded Olympic bars. Spotters are recommended.
- Re-rack weights when finished. Do not drop weights or dumbbells.
- Chalk is not allowed.
- Please wipe down machines after each use.
- Exercises that cannot be performed in a safe and proper manner or may pose risk to others are prohibited; swinging of dumbbells and stacking of plyo boxes is not allowed. Kettlebells and jumpropes may only be used in designated locations.
- Do not remove equipment from Weight Room.
- Drinks must be kept in sealed container. Food and glass containers are not allowed. Please inform staff immediately of any spills.
- Rec sports staff is available to show you proper use of cardio, weight, visual and audio equipment. Please ask for assistance.
- In case of an emergency please contact the weight room staff.
- Only personal trainers employed by Rec Sports may provide personal training.
- For your convenience, all court reservations may be made one working day in advance on a phone-in or walk-in basis at the Member Services Desk in Pohl Recreation Center (940) 369-8347. During racquetball hours, reservations may be made at the PEB racquetball courts (940) 565-3409. Racquetball participants do not have to be a member of the Pohl Recreation Center in order to utilize the racquetball courts. Guests are free but must be accompanied by a UNT student or employee. Equipment may be checked out from the PEB checkroom or Pohl Recreation Center.
- Only one reservation may be made per person per day. Reservations may be made for one hour.
- Reservations are subject to forfeiture if not claimed within 10 minutes of the reservation time.
- Racquetball court use is limited to users over the age of 16.
- It is recommended that protective eyewear designed for racquet sports be worn at all times. Participation is at your own risk.
- Recreational equipment is available for checkout with a valid UNT ID card from the PEB checkroom and the Rec Center member services desk.
- Equipment is available for overnight checkout and must be returned in the condition in which it was checked out. A replacement fee will be assessed for any lost or damaged equipment.
- Equipment available for checkout includes: Badminton racquets, Basketballs (men/women), Birdies, Day use locks, Foosballs, Footballs (men/women), Indoor soccer balls, Indoor volleyballs, Outdoor basketballs (men/women), Outdoor soccer balls, Outdoor volleyballs, Shuffleboard pucks, Softball bats, Softball gloves, Softballs, Table tennis balls, Table tennis paddles, Tennis balls, Tennis racquets and Weight belts.
Group Exercise Classes
- Free classes are available to all currently enrolled UNT students and to all Rec Center members. Free classes are indicated on the group exercise schedule with an asterisk (*). All other classes are available with a group exercise pass.
- Participants must sign in at the group exercise room.
- All climbers, regardless of ability, must pass a skill check. Climbers with little or no climbing experience must take the Intro to Climbing class.
- Approved guests of members are only eligible to purchase an Intro to Climbing class or skill check, and a one-time climb or day pass and may climb only when accompanied by their UNT member/sponsor.
- Members and guests must be at least 16 years of age to use the climbing wall (except during Family Climb weekends).
- All climbers may rent UNT climbing equipment. Patrons may use their own harness, shoes, and chalk bag if each piece of equipment passes inspection by climbing wall staff.
- No cell phones, food or drink are allowed inside the climbing area at any time.
- You must be a currently enrolled student or Rec Center member to purchase a climbing wall pass. Guests of Rec Center members may use the climbing wall by purchasing a Rec Center guest fee and a climbing wall day pass.
Outdoor Pursuits Equipment Rental
- All equipment is available to current UNT students, faculty and staff upon presentation of a current student or faculty/staff ID card.
- Reservations may be made in person up to 2 weeks in advance at the Outdoor Pursuits Center. The full rental fee must be paid upon making a reservation. Equipment not reserved is available on a first-come, first-serve basis and must be paid for in full at the time of rental pick up.
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours prior to check out time to receive a refund. Cancellations that occur within 24 hours from the rental date and time will receive no refund. All cancellations of reserved equipment that would qualify for a refund must be made in person at the Outdoor Pursuits Center during normal operating hours.
- Fees will be assessed at the current retail rate for repair or replacement of damaged or lost equipment. Equipment returned late will be charged a daily rental rate.
- No credit or refunds will be issued for items reserved but not used, or for equipment returned early.
- Individuals abusing equipment or not following procedures may be ineligible to rent equipment in the future.
- All equipment must be returned to the Outdoor Pursuits Center during normal operating hours. Equipment returned to other areas in the Rec Center will not be accepted or be considered returned equipment.
- Swimming is permitted only when a lifeguard is present.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by parent or guardian.
- Street shoes are not allowed on the deck.
- Shower before entering the pool.
- No excessive splashing, dunking, shoving, or object throwing. No running on decks.
- No diving.
- No food, gum, drinks, or glass containers (water bottles are allowed).
- Do not talk to the lifeguards while on duty.
- Appropriate swim attire required. Toddlers and infants must wear swim diapers. No t-shirts or cut off jeans.
- People with open wounds or infectious diseases are not permitted in the pool or spa.
- Do not hang on the lane ropes.
- No floatation devices allowed.
- Remove all band-aids and hairpins.
- Swimmers should swim with others of their ability. All swimmers should circle swim.
- Water jogging allowed in lap lanes only.
- Please be aware of the emergency whistle code.
- The lifeguards have authority over all patrons regarding policy enforcement.
- Use the spa only when the water is 104 degrees F or below.
- Do not submerge head or ears.
- Senior Adults, pregnant women, and those with serious health problems should not use the spa before consulting a physician.
- Use the steps to enter and exit the spa. No jumping or diving allowed, and enter and exit the spa slowly.
- Using the spa after consuming alcohol, drugs, or some medicines may be injurious to your health.
- Long exposure may result in nausea, dizziness, or fainting. Do not stay in the spa longer than 15 minutes at a time.
- Children under 5 may not use the spa, children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Court shoes are required.
- Walkers use the two inside lanes.
- Spitting on the track is prohibited.
- No food, drinks, tobacco or gum are allowed.
Waranch Tennis Center Policies
- Courts are available for use by students, faculty, staff, and Pohl Recreation Center members. All users must have a UNT ID card or a rec center membership card.
- Courts will remain locked except during supervised use times.
- Tennis equipment is available for checkout with a valid UNT ID card or Pohl Recreation Center membership.
- No activities other than tennis are allowed on the courts. Rollerblading and skateboards are strictly prohibited.
- Participants must wear shirts at all times.
- Athletic shoes are required.
- Smoking, use of tobacco products, or alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
- Food or drinks are not allowed on the tennis courts. Water bottles are allowed.
- Glass containers are not allowed on the tennis courts.
- Animals other than those assisting the disabled are not allowed on the tennis courts.
- Users are responsible for observing and following these policies. Those participants not following the policies, may be asked to leave the facility by the staff on duty.
- In case of inclement weather, play may be stopped and the tennis courts may be closed.
- In case of an accident, contact the tennis court supervisor.
- In case of emergency contact UNT Police by calling 911.
For more information about the Waranch Tennis Pavilion or for reservations fill out the Recreational Sports Facility Request Form (pdf) and turn it into the Rec Sports office or call 940-565-4200.